Hastings Minnesota Online Driver Education and Hastings Minnesota Licensing Procedures
So you've taken your first step towards becoming a new driver in Hastings Minnesota? Congratulations!
As you probably already know, driving is a valuable skill, but can also be extremely dangerous. Therefore, to help new teen drivers develop safe driving habits during their first few years behind the wheel, the State of Hastings Minnesota has implemented a graduated driver license program for Hastings Minnesota drivers who are under the age of 18.
We’ve summarized a few things you’ll need to know as you begin the process of becoming a licensed driver in Hastings Minnesota.
Hastings Minnesota Instruction Permit (aka--Learner's Permit)
You must meet the following requirements before applying for an instruction permit in Hastings Minnesota:
- Be at least 15 years old
- Complete 30 hours of state-approved drivers education.
- Be enrolled in a state-approved drivers education course which includes behind-the-wheel training
When you're ready to get your permit, go down to your local Hastings Minnesota DVS office with the following items:
- A completed permit application w/ your parent's/guardian's signature
- Your completion certificate for your drivers education course
- Money to pay the required processing fee (contact the DVS to find out the exact amount)
At the DVS office, you will be given a vision screening test and then you'll need to pass a written (knowledge) test. If you pass, you will be issued a Hastings Minnesota Instruction Permit, which is valid for 2 years.
With an instruction permit, you may drive under the following conditions:
- You must be accompanied by a licensed driver who's at least 21. This person must be sitting next to you in the front passenger seat, actively supervising your driving
- Teen-aged drivers may not use a cell phone or any other wireless communication devices while driving
- All passengers must be wearing seatbelts
Hastings Minnesota Provisional License
To become eligible to apply for a provisional driver's license, you need to meet the following prerequisites:
Be at least 16 years old
Have had your instruction permit for at least 6 months (with no traffic violations)
Your drivers education completion certificate
Completed 30 hours of supervised driving (10 of which must be at night). Keep a log of your driving practice and have your parents/guardians sign off on it.
When you're ready to get your provisional license, head back down to the local DVS office with your instruction permit and all other paperwork you took with you when you went to get your instruction permit. You will need cash on hand to pay another processing fee.
If you pass a road test, you will be issued your intermediate license, which is good for 2 years. With an intermediate license, the following restrictions still apply:
- No using a cell phone while driving (with or without a hands-free device)
- Everyone in the car must be buckled up!
After you've held your intermediate license for 12 months and maintained a clean driving record, you may apply for a full license. However, even with a full license, the following restrictions apply:
1st six (6) months:
- No driving between 12 midnight and 5am unless you have a licensed driver who's 25 years old or older sitting in the front seat supervising you (exception is if you are driving to or from work, a school-sponsored event which did not offer transportation, or an emergency).
- Only 1 passenger under the age of 20 is permitted to ride with you
2nd six (6) months:
- You may only have up to 3 passengers who are under the age of 20 ride with you (unless your parent/guardian is with you).
Hastings Minnesota Auto Insurance & Financial Responsibility Laws
State law requires that you have at least a certain amount of auto insurance/liability coverage on any vehicle you drive. Any vehicle registered in Hastings Minnesota must be covered by Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance as well as liability insurance.
The minimum PIP coverage is as follows:
- $40,000--personal injury (1 person)
- $20,000--for hospital and medical expenses
- $20,000--for non-medical expenses
The minimum liability coverage is as follows:
- $30,000--personal injury (1 person)
- $60,000--personal injury (2 or more persons)
- $10,000--property damage
The minimum uninsured/underinsured coverage is as follows:
- $25,000 for injury to one person
- $50,000 for injury to two or more people
- $25,000 for injuries to one person
- $50,000 for injuries to two or more people
Driving without auto insurance coverage is a crime. If you are found to be driving while uninsured, you risk losing your license and paying a hefty fine.
Hastings Minnesota Drunk Driving
Driving under the influence of alcohol is strictly prohibited in Hastings Minnesota, and strictly enforced. The state's "Not A Drop" law states that your instruction permit or intermediate license will be taken away if a law-enforcement officer sees you driving without full control of your car.
Upon your FIRST Hastings Minnesota DUI conviction, you will face the following penalties:
- 90 days in Jail
- $1,000 fine
- Suspension of your license for 6 to 12 months to
- License reinstatement fee of $250-$430 plus the application fee
- Ignition lock device will be installed on your vehicle
Further DUI convictions will result in even harsher penalties, including extended jail time, fines, and the revocation of your driver's license.
Hastings Minnesota Cell Phone & Text-Messaging Laws
State law prohibits the reading, composing, and sending of text-messages is while driving. Also, teen-aged drivers from using cell phones while driving (unless to call 911 in the event of an emergency).
Hastings Minnesota Online Driver Education
Teen-aged drivers in Hastings Minnesota are required to take a state-approved drivers education program. For more information regarding approved drivers ed courses, please visit the Hastings Minnesota DVS' website.